Reflection #7: Andrea Shalal Lecture

Andrea Shalal of Berlin was skyped into class to discuss Arab-American Literature.  She discussed numerous Arab-American authors, including but not limited to: Khalil Gibran, Khaled Mattawa, Mohja Kahf, and Naomi Shinab Nye.  Many pieces of the literature and history were brought up in the discussion: "Al Mahjar," the transitioning from poetry to novels to anthologies, and how ethnic and cultural heritages affect the author and their works.
Image result for khaled mattawa Khaled Mattawa
Image result for mohja kahf Mohja Kahf
Image result for naomi shihab nye Naomi Shinab Nye

I did not have much knowledge about Arab-American literature and was deeply enlightened by the lecture.  I have not heard about many of the authors, but after further research, I know that I'll read their pieces in the future.  It stood out to me that many of the authors were not first-generation, something I believed.  The authors have the heritage, but don't speak Arabic; additionally, not all the works are influenced by their heritage but also by the American systems they were in contact with.

My favorite writer was Khalil Gibran.  He's the only name that I've heard of, and "The Prophet" was an amazing film that I can appreciate.
Image result for khalil gibran Khalil Gibran
Image result for khalil gibran the prophet "The Prophet"

Comments

Popular Posts